Over the past week, LSS has received further reports via its information sharing agreement with Hertsmere police that Range Rovers specifically, are continually being stolen from around Hertfordshire and North London.
It is clear that there is a organised crime gang targeting the luxury high-end vehicles due to, not only their value and appeal, but also their one major security flaw – keyless entry. We feel it necessary to continue stressing the importance of vehicle security as there appears to be no let up in this form of criminal activity.
How to prevent vehicle theft:
- Keyless Entry Cars – Criminals can steel a car in as little as 18 seconds thanks to cheap, easily accessible signal reflector technology. Many modern, high-end vehicles are falling victim to theft due to this security flaw. Prevent this from happening by keeping your key away from front doors and windows. The further away the key is from the vehicle, the harder it is for the signal to be diverted by a potential thief. Consider purchasing a NFC blocker (near-field-communication), these are typically boxes which prevent wireless signals entering or leaving the box. You can buy NFC blockers via the LSS Store here
- Parking – Park your vehicle(s) in a well lit area and if possible, in a secure garage or lockup. If you do not have access to a garage, parking your vehicle on your driveway can significantly reduce the risk of theft compared to that of parking on a street or away from your home. Where possible, try to park less desirable cars in the way or more valuable ones, particularly Range Rovers.
- ProResponse+ – Our exclusive rapid response service guarantees a patrol car at your property within seconds of activation. The state-of-the-art sensor and monitoring system alerts our patrol cars with real time updates, allowing our officers to make fast, informed decisions on the status of each alert. ProResponse+ has already proven itself invaluable to several clients. Register your interest in ProResponse+ here.
- Lock it – When leaving your vehicle, always ensure you lock the doors and the windows are fully closed. Check each car handle and boot catch after locking your vehicle to ensure the car is definitely locked. A door left slightly ajar may not be properly locked by the car’s central locking system.
- Steering Locks – This traditional, yet effective security device can deter criminals from steeling an easily opened vehicle.
- GPS Trackers – GPS Vehicle Trackers can be installed on vehicles which could help the authorities recover your vehicle. Consider having one of these devices discreetly fitted to your vehicle.
- Valuables – Don’t leave valuables unattended in your vehicle, failing that, ensure your valuables are out of sight. From bags and wallets to sunglasses and loose change, criminals have been known to break-in to vehicles for loose change, costing them nothing, but leaving you with an expensive repair or insurance bill.
- Catalytic converters – Thieves are now targeting catalytic converters from the exhaust area of vehicles. The part contains valuable metal which can be easily sold on. To prevent catalytic converter theft, park in a way which makes it awkward for thieves to get behind your vehicle. Park in well lit areas in front of occupied property. Consider getting your catalytic converter marked by a participating garage. More information can be found here.
What to do if your vehicle is stolen:
- Contact the police immediately to report the theft of your vehicle.
- If you are an LSS London client, contact your local patrol unit for rapid response.
- Do not attempt to follow the suspect. Lock all doors and windows to your home and await assistance from police or your local patrol, in case the theft is part of a larger burglary operation.
To end on a more positive note, the LSS team are pleased to have introduced a new patrol zone to its Residential Patrol detail. LSS will now have a prominent security presence in areas of Rickmansworth, providing residents with security peace of mind through hi-visibility patrols and expert crime-prevention tactics.